The South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel’s biennial listing of the Best Courses You Can Play in the state was unveiled for 2017 and 3 out of the 4 Barefoot courses made the list.
The South Carolina Ratings Panel announced the “2017 South Carolina Top Courses Available for Public Play” yesterday and 3 of the Barefott courses; Love, Fazio and Dye were honored. Of 31 courses in SC on this list, Barefoot holds 3 of them.
We are very proud to be part of this list and also the great team we have here at Barefoot…all the hard work, time, and attention to detail is the main reason we are able to accomplish this. – Dave Genevro, General Manager
The South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel is composed of golf enthusiasts representing a diverse range of occupations, handicaps and backgrounds. These individuals have been charged with the task of identifying the best that South Carolina golf has to offer.
Objective and Purpose
The objective of the South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel is to promote excellence in SC golf course design and operations through competitive rankings, education and public advocacy. The Panel serves as an ambassador for golf in South Carolina by striving to stimulate and facilitate the promotion and marketing of the outstanding golf courses, resorts, and real estate developments.
1) South Carolina’s 50 Best Courses – Bi-annually (in even-numbered years) members of the Panel identify their choices for the “50 Best Courses” in the state, public or private.
2) The Best Courses You Can Play – Bi-annually (in odd-numbered years) the Panel releases a listing of the best non-private courses in the state. Every resort, public access, and daily-fee course is eligible for this elite listing.
How We Rate Them
In determining their ratings panelists consider the following criteria:
- Routing – How the course flows from hole to hole in harmony with existing topography.
- Variety – Degree to which the course demands a full range of shot requirements.
- Strategy – How design features test course management.
- Equity – The course’s capacity to reward good shots and penalize poor ones.
- Memorability – The distinctiveness of the golf course and its individual holes.
- Aesthetics – The degree to which scenery and surrounds lend to the enjoyment.
- Experience – Incorporates all elements of the course: practice areas, clubhouse and more.
The Panel consists of a maximum of 130 members with twenty-five percent representing each of the following geographical regions: The Upstate, The Midlands, The Lowcountry, and The Grand Strand.
Categories of Membership
- Golf Industry – individuals who have a direct connection to the golf industry
- Players & Coaches – individuals who excel at playing or coaching the game
- Media – individuals who report on golf for one or more media outlets
- Business & Industry – individuals who utilize golf within the business community
For more information on the South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel contact its Executive Director, Michael Whitaker, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.